1. It nourishes and moisturizes our hair. As the humid weather in our region deprives our hair of hydration it tends to give it a dull, unhealthy and dry look. A weekly hot oil treatment is the best solution for our hair.
Oil with its enriching ingredients, when heated works as the best moisturizer. The heated oil penetrates into the hair shaft easily and restores our hair to it’s previous glow and shine.
2. It Strengthens Hair
Our hair does get damaged and causes breakage. A hot oil treatment strengthens the individual strands. Our hair has a hydro-lipid layer. A hot oil hair treatment can help to replenish this layer of lost lipids. This strengthens our locks and gives each strand a new outer layer covering.
3. It Can Help Ward off Split Ends
Split ends are indications your hair needs some Tender, Loving , Care (TLC). They can be problematic when left unattended for a long period of time. They’ll start to make their way up the hair shaft, causing breakage.
While hot oil treatment won’t repair the strands entirely, it will temporarily work to soften, smooth and strengthen your locks. Giving it a glossy look.
4. It’ll Help to give a Healthy Scalp
Let’s begin with the confusion one has with dry scalp and dandruff. If you suffer from the latter, it’s usually because of diet, weather or product build up or combination of these factors or stress. Hot oil treatment is the best option for dry scalp. It lubricates and conditions dry, itchy scalps.
5. It Can Help Minimize Damage Caused by Colour and Styling
Many are in the trend of damaging their hair by exposing them to over-styling, chemical straightening treatments or dyeing. Using a hot oil hair treatment will replenish the hair with the essential vitamins and minerals it needs and also counteract the damage that’s already been done.
6. You Can Use Them on All Hair Types
The best thing about hot oil treatments? All hair types can benefit from using them! So, what are you waiting for? Come down to Vanessa Beauty Salon.
Hot oil treatment at Home vs Salon
We can do it at home as well. It may not be as effective as doing it in a salon where the professionals analyze the damage and decide on the best way to treat it . In the salon we steam the hair where the oil has a better penetration to the strands of hair and scalp. If you are doing it at home, use a warm towel and wrap your oiled hair.
HOT OIL TREATMENT : STEP BY STEP
1. We will warm up the oil for 3-5 minutes
2. Place a towel on your shoulders. Oil application may get messy.
3. Patch test the oil to avoid burning your scalp. We use a cotton pad or an applicator bottle. Using our fingers we massage the oil into your scalp.
4. Apply warm oil to the scalp and make sure to cover all spots. Once every side (top, bottom, sides) is covered in oil, treat your scalp with a nice massage.
5. Wrap hair with towel and steam for 15mins , this will allow the oil to be absorbed for 20-30 minutes.
6. After the recommended time, release your hair from shower cap, rinse with warm water, co-wash with a conditioner, and massage thoroughly until the oil is completely rinsed out.
7. Dry hair with a cotton towel or blow dry depending on customer’s request.
What kind of oil to use?
Coconut oil is super nourishing and has been shown to prevent protein loss in the hair shaft. 1 Both virgin and refined coconut oils work just fine.
Olive oil is a little on the heavy side and not one of my favourites, but it may work for you! It contains vitamin A, vitamin E, and helps you retain moisture.
Avocado oil is great especially if your hair is dry, since it is super lubricating and helps your hair retain much needed moisture.
My second favorite is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil in a way, reminds me of coconut oil. It doesn’t weigh down your hair, yet it leaves it soft and manageable
A rarely used oil is almond oil. It nourishes hair while conditioning and promoting growth.